Overcoming Barriers to ACP and Person-Centered Care: Transforming Healthcare Systems into ACP Champions: A Case Study
HCV envisions a world where all Virginians have access to quality advance care planning that is honored in the delivery of care. In the journey to achieve this vision, there are many barriers to overcome—at personal, interpersonal, institutional, and systemic levels. What are some of these barriers, and how are ACP advocates around the country working to overcome them?
Are you a healthcare professional who is passionate about Advance Care Planning and wondering how your institution or practice can support it or improve your practices? In October, join us for a retrospective look at how Bon Secours Health System, HCA Virginia, and VCU Health System made history when they founded Honoring Choices Virginia as their first ever joint initiative back in 2015. Over the next three years, teams from the three health systems worked together to develop advance care programs across dozens of unique practice settings. Debbie Griffith, ACP Coordinator of Henrico Doctors’ Hospital (HCA Virginia); Rebecca Gruszkos, Director of ACP of Bon Secours Mercy Healthcare; and Ken Faulkner, retired ACP Coordinator of VCU Health, will discuss their individual and shared experiences working with the initiative through a roundtable format. Themes will include how the collaboration was initiated, how ACP programs were adaptively designed and implemented within different systems and settings, successes and barriers encountered along the way, and lessons learned.
- Examine advance care planning design and implementation strategies in healthcare settings
- Recognize the importance of collaboration and leadership in advance care planning programs
- Identify how unique differences in healthcare settings play a role in determining advance care planning program design and implementation
- Hear about contributors and barriers to success with ACP implementation in healthcare settings
- Ken Faulkner, MA, MDiv, retired ACP Coordinator, VCU Health System
- Becky Gruzskos, MSW, LCSW, ACHP-SW, Director, Advance Care Planning, Bon Secours Mercy Health System
- Debbie Griffith, RN, BSN, CCRN, ACP Coordinator, HCA Virginia, Henrico Doctors’ Hospital
- Advance care planning “practitioners” or advocates who are interested in expanding their perspective to include alternate views on advance care planning
- Professionals and advocates in related fields who are interested in learning more about advance care planning and resources to support their work
- Anyone else interested in the topic
Registration Cost: Free, and CEUs are available at no cost.
Advance registration is required.
Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Zoom – link provided after registration